It have to be nice enjoyable designing a safari camp – we’ve come across a few nests, several tree homes and even some igloo impressed tents. Learn on for a round-up of a few of our favourite designs.
- 1 East Africa’s Grand Designs
- 2 Southern Africa’s Grand Designs
- 2.1 Zimbabwe – Amalinda Lodge
- 2.2 Zambia – Chongwe River House
- 2.3 Namibia – Shipwreck Lodge
- 2.4 Botswana – Zarafa Dhow Suite
- 2.5 Botswana – Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
- 2.6 Namibia – Serra Cafema
- 2.7 Zambia – Jackalberry Treehouse
- 2.8 Namibia – Hoanib Skeleton Coast
- 2.9 South Africa – Kingston Tree House
- 2.10 South Africa – Leobo Observatory
- 2.11 Zambia – Luangwa Safari Home
- 2.12 Namibia – Mowani Mountain Camp
- 2.13 Namibia – The Nest Sossus Underneath Canvas
- 2.14 South Africa – The Silo
- 3 Seashore Grand Designs
East Africa’s Grand Designs
Tanzania – And Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
– Ornate architecture, spectacular views and a number of the world’s greatest wildlife viewing mix in something quite extraordinary here on the rim of Tanzania’s Ngorongoro Crater. For once, ‘jaw dropping’ is acceptable.
Kenya – Angama Mara
– Tented suites unfold along the sting of an escarpment appear to float above Kenya’s Masai Mara Nationwide Reserve and its wildlife over 200 metres under. A dramatic central guest area is wrapped in glass while the in depth deck and hearth pit cling over the edge of the Rift Valley.
Rwanda – Bisate Lodge
– Inspired by a former king’s palace this six room sanctuary, a base for gorilla tracking, sits in the pure amphitheatre of an extinct volcanic cone. The spherical thatched forest villas echo the hundreds of hills that dot the Rwanda countryside, each with spectacular views over the Virunga Massif. Vibrant textiles and items from native artisans give the luxurious interiors a vibrant Rwandan flair.
Kenya – Giraffe Manor
– Certainly one of Nairobi’s most iconic buildings, this 1930s house with its stately façade and stylish interiors can also be considered one of Africa’s most extraordinary inns. The grounds are residence to a herd of resident Rothschild giraffe which wander by way of the gardens up to the home in quest of a treat earlier than retreating again to their forest sanctuary.
Tanzania – The Highlands
– Dome shaped tents with vast Perspex home windows sit on a verdant ridge, 3,000 metres above sea degree, overlooking Tanzania’s vast Serengeti plains. Futuristic from the surface, interiors are superbly furnished with Masai impressed textiles, black and white pictures of villagers, and wooden burning stoves to keep the early morning chill at bay.
Tanzania – Greystoke Mahale
– Head to the far west of Tanzania where Lake Tanganyika meets the forested Mahale mountains and also you’ll find the marvellously distant Greystoke Mahale. Whereas the six lovely bandas of this chimpanzee monitoring lodge are hidden within the forest, the primary lodge – a powerful shaggy, thatched construction designed to resemble a standard Kitongwe chieftain’s longhouse – takes delight of place on the seashore.
Kenya – Nay Palad, Chook’s Nest
– Daniel Pouzert’s imaginative design – a two storey suite topped with a powerful ‘bird’s nest’ viewing and open air sleeping platform – has created dwelling area like no other. Constructed on the Segera reserve in Kenya, alongside a river teeming with wildlife, a sleep out here is certainly one so as to add to the bucket listing.
Tanzania – Mkombe’s House
– A simple palm-thatch, wooden and plaster development provides rise to a splendidly sensible home-from-home safari home in Tanzania. Canvas partitions peel back to confess the breeze and reveal fabulous Serengeti views. Adjoining bedrooms, a fenced pool, home employees, and personal information and car permit activities to be scheduled around the family routine.
Southern Africa’s Grand Designs
Zimbabwe – Amalinda Lodge
– Built into the granite domes and chateau kopjes in western Zimbabwe, Amalinda captures the culture and distinctive beauty for which the Matobo Hills are celebrated. Tucked away into an historic Bushman’s shelter it’s an impressed African refuge.
Zambia – Chongwe River House
– The Flintstone-esque exterior conceals a personal safari home filled with flowing curves and open dwelling spaces that remember the encompassing Zambian wilderness. Waterfall showers, open air bathtubs, furnishings carved from fallen timber and ceilings studded with pebbles evoke glamour within the wonderfully homely interior. A implausible base for safari in the Decrease Zambezi.
Namibia – Shipwreck Lodge
– Set amid the sweeping dunes of Namibia’s Skeleton Coast, Shipwreck Lodge boasts eight rooms, two household rooms and an exterior all designed to imitate a shipwreck. The architect’s concept to capture the contrast between shelter and publicity has been cleverly delivered to life with the picket cabins, conceived of as an abstracted wreckage of fragments gathered by survivors. The ensuing camp, unfold along the dune edge like an inventory flotilla towards the skyline, is the last word desert getaway.
Botswana – Zarafa Dhow Suite
– Blending majestically into its environment, this magnificent villa sits in the Selinda Reserve, certainly one of northern Botswana’s most prolific wildlife areas. At 210 square metres, it is among the largest single tented buildings in Southern Africa and is bedecked with copper claw-foot baths, luxurious furnishings and a personal deck overlooking the wildlife-filled plains beyond.
Botswana – Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
– The cool and modern design, harking back to a pangolin’s physique armour provides this beautiful lodge its unique really feel. The hovering, curved picket roof lends a grand scale letting within the clear African mild and Botswana’s countless Okavango Delta horizons. A collection of ground degree decks open onto a lantern-lit boma which is shaped by large logs that mimic the tail bones of the pangolin.
Namibia – Serra Cafema
– Distant Serra Cafema is an absolute gem, celebrating Himba tradition in its extraordinary desert location. With buildings organized around present timber, connecting by way of a collection of outside spaces, it’s a clever design on the a part of Windhoek-based architect Karen Munting, permitting for pockets of privacy inside a bigger cohesive entire. Natural supplies mirror the encompassing Namibian landscape and the eight rooms have views onto the river and looming mountains of Angola past.
Zambia – Jackalberry Treehouse
– Raised eight ft off the ground and constructed round three African ebony timber, Jackalberry Treehouse at Flatdogs Camp offers simply the fitting stability of journey and comfort – good as a base for wildlife viewing in Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park. The three decks home two open fronted bedrooms and a snug seating space – all of which are good to observe wildlife wandering previous, fortunately oblivious to your presence.
Namibia – Hoanib Skeleton Coast
– Sail-like tents – assume Sydney Opera House and you’ll get the image – clustered between the peaks of the Namib Desert mark this camp as desert ‘high style’. There’s a lot to explore from this oasis on the unforgiving Skeleton Coast.
South Africa – Kingston Tree House
– Sheltered by a wooden and glass construction and raised above the Sabi Sand recreation reserve alongside Kruger National Park, Kingston Tree House is a romantic hideaway second-to-none. Twinkling lanterns, a drawbridge, viewing platform, feather beds, scorching shower – the whole lot you possibly can need for an evening underneath the celebs.
South Africa – Leobo Observatory
– The ultra-stylish Observatory Bush Villa at Leobo is a unprecedented architectural triumph. Curving polished mud partitions, previous Zanzibar doorways, copper lights and even a hippo skeleton-turned-chandelier lend a very African flavour to this beautiful South African bush residence. It’s obtained all of the toys, even an observatory outfitted with two NASA grade telescopes.
Zambia – Luangwa Safari Home
– Elegant Luangwa Safari House, one of many unique safari homes, overlooks a seasonal lagoon in Zambia’s South Luangwa Valley. Neil Rocher’s design sees visitors enter by way of cathedral-style doors which open onto a double storey sitting and eating area and plunge pool beyond, offering views to the wildlife rich waterhole. Four bedrooms, all individually adorned, come with terraces and drawbridge verandas.
Namibia – Mowani Mountain Camp
– This pretty Namibian eco-lodge is sensible example of bush architecture blending a lodge into its surroundings. The cleverly crafted important space wraps across the kopje whereas the reed roofs of the visitor cottages tents mimic the color of the pure environment.
Namibia – The Nest Sossus Underneath Canvas
–The huge labyrinthine nests of sociable weaver birds offered the inspiration for this personal safari home within the Namib Tsaris Conservancy, near the Sossusvlei dunes. From a distance, with its reed thatched roof and handmade bricks it’s merely a shadow within the panorama and has already scooped greatest new personal home in the 2019 Wallpaper* Design awards for designer Porky Hefer.
South Africa – The Silo
– Towering above the V&A Waterfront, The Silo is one in every of Cape City’s most iconic inns and a wonderful example of a remodelled historic building. London-based Thomas Heatherwick was tasked with reworking the elevator home and adjacent storage annexe of six rows of seven silos, whereas retaining its cultural significance. The ensuing 28 room lodge is a spectacular success.
Seashore Grand Designs
Kenyan Coast – Alfajiri
– Perched on a coral cliff above the pristine sands of Diani Seashore, Alfajiri Cliff Villa is one among East Africa’s most trendy bolt holes. Panoramic ocean views from the turret suite, flowing fabrics and East African artefacts ooze wow factor.
Seychelles – North Island
– Building with thatch, stone and wooden, architects Silvio Rech and Lesley Carstens – whose imaginative ideas are behind several prime notch safari camps – have echoed the natural setting of this beautiful Seychelles’ island paradise. Lodging within the 11 exquisite villas flows by way of a collection of open-sided rooms adorned with ocean-hued textiles, driftwood pieces and colourful class pieces. The right blend of aesthetic and performance has drawn accolades from the world over.
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
– Dining 5 metres underneath the Indian Ocean in the Maldives archipelago has acquired to be prime of the listing as far as quirky restaurant settings go. The one all glass undersea restaurant on the planet, Conrad Ithaa provides modern European delicacies with an 180-degree panoramic view of the vibrant coral and aquatic life surrounding it.
South Africa – Grootbos Villas
–Africa’s southern tip is a spectacular wilderness of empty seashores and endemic fynbos vegetation. It’s also the place you’ll find the Grootbos villas, two of the continent’s most luxurious lodging. Structure echoing the layered nature of the setting helps blend the villas in to the pristine setting. Crisp interiors, wonderful art, personal pools, indoor and outside eating make these beautiful options from which to discover.
South Africa – Morukuru Seashore Lodge
– Architect Nick Plewman’s temporary was to design a construction ‘that disappears into its surroundings’. The end result, a up to date, angular and light-filled building comprised of concrete, stone cladding and recycled railway sleepers – topped with fynbos on the roof – matches the bill completely. Harmonising somewhat than competing with its South African coastal setting, it’s a pleasure to behold.
Maldives – Soneva Jani
– Sea-bleached timber towards the turquoise sea and visitor rooms linked by a gently curving jetty bestow a sleek air to this Maldives resort. Retractable rooves opening to reveal the night time sky and prime flooring slides straight into the Indian Ocean lagoon are just two of the features to please visitors right here.
In the event you’ve received this far and never discovered a solution to a question you’ve that we should always have included, please ask in the feedback part under, or pop us an e mail. We’ll make sure you reply and should amend the article to incorporate our answer.
We might be delighted that will help you plan a holiday, or reply any questions in the event you’re at an earlier stage. Our group of specialists have travelled extensively throughout Africa. They will supply professional advice on each sort of safari from family and seashore holidays to driving and primate safaris. If you need to talk to somebody who has been there and finished it, please just ship us an e-mail or give us a call.