Pat your self on the again. You’ve made it via Thanksgiving! Now when you didn’t freeze and/or divvy up the leftovers, you could be looking for artistic methods to repurpose the turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce and sides.
Someplace in between merely reheating leftovers (straightforward!) and turning them into falafel-like patties (value it however maybe extra work than you take care of!) is that this group of recipes. We’ve additionally included a couple of ideas for getting a jump-start on upcoming vacation eats, only for kicks. And in case you are completely content material to r-e-l-a-x and make sandwiches for a number of days, go forth. You understand the place to discover us once you get bored with that.
Turkey tortilla soup
This comes collectively in about 20 minutes, begin to end, and is right for not solely utilizing turkey and turkey broth leftovers, but in addition ridding your pantry of different lingering canned items akin to enchilada sauce. Should you don’t have the garnishes, be happy to prime the soup with different leftovers — roasted Brussels sprouts and a dollop of gravy combined with bitter cream might stand in for the tomatoes and cheese, for instance.
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 1/four cups low-sodium hen broth or do-it-yourself turkey broth, plus extra for thinning the soup as essential
- 1 1/four cups canned inexperienced enchilada sauce, similar to Hatch model
- 1 1/four cups canned pink enchilada sauce, akin to Hatch model
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1 cup nonfat half-and-half (might substitute for low-fat milk)
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded or reduce into 1/2-inch cube
- 1 cup coarsely chopped grape tomatoes, for garnish
- 1 avocado, flesh minimize into 1/2-inch cube, for garnish
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely minced, for garnish
- 1/four cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, for garnish
In a big, dry skillet over medium-high warmth, working in batches, warmth the corn tortillas on each side till they’re barely charred in spots; this could take about 6 minutes complete. Slice the tortillas into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
In a big, heavy-bottomed pot over medium warmth, mix the broth and tortilla strips. Prepare dinner for two to three minutes, till the tortillas have softened and have thickened the broth. Scale back the warmth to medium-low and add the enchilada sauces, cumin, half-and-half and cooked turkey, stirring to mix. Prepare dinner for three to 5 minutes, till the soup is heated by means of. (You might add extra broth to obtain a thinner consistency.) To serve, divide the soup amongst particular person bowls and garnish with the tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno chili pepper and cheddar cheese.
Turkey stroganoff on toast
Deb Lindsey, For The Washington Post
Turkey stroganoff on toast.
Fast consolation right here, with a bitter cream tomato sauce amped up with smoked Spanish paprika. That is additionally a reminder that the majority leftovers might be shortly morphed into one thing else by including a carb or starchy base. Past toast, we’d use leftover turkey in pizza, tacos, baked potatoes, rice paper or wonton wrappers, crepes, pasta or rice. (These bases would additionally function ultimate touchdown spots for different leftovers, akin to greens or salads.)
One other enjoyable factor, in case you’ve obtained a waffle maker: Grease it, then plop on some stuffing and shut; the sides get all crisped and crackly, and also you’ve received tasty waffles that could possibly be topped with cranberry sauce and turkey or leftover Brussels sprouts.
- 1 giant onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 14 ounces cooked skinless, boneless turkey
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons no-salt-added hen or turkey broth
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika (pimenton), plus extra as wanted
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup low-fat bitter cream
- Kosher salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
- four giant slices sourdough bread
- Leaves from 2 to four stems flat-leaf parsley
Reduce the onion in half, then into very skinny half-moon slices. Use the flat aspect of a chef’s knife to crush the garlic (such as you imply it). Use your clear palms to shred the turkey into strips or bite-size items. Pour the broth right into a microwave-safe cup; warmth within the microwave on excessive for about 30 seconds or till it’s fairly scorching.
Warmth the oil in a big saute pan over medium warmth. As soon as the oil shimmers, stir within the onion. Prepare dinner for about 10 minutes, stirring sometimes, then stir within the garlic. Sprinkle the tablespoon of smoked paprika over the onion and garlic, then clear an area on the middle of the pan and drop within the tomato paste. Prepare dinner for two minutes, then stir it in till included.
Pour within the scorching broth, stirring to mix it, then add the turkey. Prepare dinner for about three minutes, then scale back the warmth to medium-low; stir within the mustard and about one-third of the bitter cream till nicely mixed. Prepare dinner simply till warmed via. Style, and season with salt, pepper and/or smoked paprika, as wanted.
In the meantime, toast the bread, then place a bit on every plate. Coarsely chop the parsley (to style). Prime each bit of toasted bread with equal quantities of the stroganoff, then dollop a few of the remaining bitter cream on every one. Garnish with the parsley; serve heat.
Fig and brie omelets
Eggs are a pure residence for leftovers, too. As an alternative of fig jam, you would use cranberry sauce in these straightforward omelets. Serve with sliced turkey on the aspect or inside. For extra bang for your buck, servings-wise, go with a frittata — leftover greens can simply stand in for the mushrooms and peppers on this recipe.
- four giant eggs plus 2 giant egg whites
- Kosher salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
- three ounces chilled brie cheese
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 loosely packed cups child arugula leaves
- Additional-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime
- three or four recent figs
- four tablespoons fig jam
Flippantly beat the eggs and egg whites in a big liquid measuring cup. Season calmly with salt and pepper.
Reduce the cheese into skinny slices.
Soften half the butter in an Eight-inch nonstick skillet over medium warmth, swirling it to coat the pan.
Pour in half the egg combination; prepare dinner, undisturbed, for 30 seconds, then use a versatile spatula to push the floor raw egg towards the middle. Prepare dinner for three to four minutes, or till the egg is nearly set on the middle.
In the meantime, place the arugula in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with somewhat oil and squeeze some lime juice (to style) over the greens. Stem the recent figs, then minimize the fruit into halves or quarters. Toss with the greens, and season the salad calmly with salt and pepper.
Dollop half the jam on one aspect of the egg within the pan, then organize half the brie slices on prime of the jam.
Use the spatula to assist fold the egg over the cheese. Prepare dinner for 30 seconds or so, then gently slide the omelet onto a plate. Prime with half the salad. Repeat with the remaining butter, egg, jam, cheese and salad for the second plate.
Southwest-style turkey hash with creamy avocado-cilantro sauce
Deb Lindsey, For The Washington Post
Southwest-style turkey hash with creamy avocado-cilantro sauce.
As a result of actually, when is a hash a nasty concept? This one’s received an assortment of greens, together with bell peppers, celery, onions, candy potatoes and purple potatoes.
Elements for the hash
- 2 or three skin-on purple potatoes (5 to 6 ounces complete), minimize into 1/2-inch cube (three cups)
- half skin-on giant candy potato, scrubbed nicely, and reduce into 1/2-inch cube (2 cups)
- four tablespoons canola oil
- three/four cup low-sodium turkey broth
- 1/Eight teaspoon plus 1/four teaspoon superb sea salt
- three/four teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1 medium pink bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and reduce into 1/2-inch items (1 half cups)
- 1 small/medium inexperienced bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and minimize into 1/2-inch items (1 cup)
- half giant pink onion, minimize into 1/2-inch cube (1 cup)
- 1/2 giant white onion, reduce into 1/2-inch cube (three/four cup)
- 2 ribs celery, reduce into 1/2-inch cube (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, minced and seeded
- 5 half cups cooked, diced turkey breast (no pores and skin; 1/2-inch items)
- Juice of half lime
- 2 Roma tomatoes, minimize into 1/2-inch items (1 1/four cups)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optionally available)
- Elements for the sauce:
- Flesh of two ripe Hass avocados
- Packed 1 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/Eight teaspoon nice sea salt
- 1/four teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- Water (elective)
For the hash: Mix the pink potatoes, candy potato and broth in a big saute pan over medium-high warmth. Cowl and prepare dinner undisturbed for about Eight minutes, then uncover and prepare dinner till the broth has been absorbed/evaporated. The potatoes ought to be virtually tender.
Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the pan, stirring to coat the potatoes. Season with 1/Eight teaspoon of the salt and 1/four teaspoon of the black pepper. Prepare dinner (over medium-high warmth) for about 5 minutes, stirring a number of occasions, till nearly all of the potatoes are crisped and browned however not burnt. Flip off the warmth.
In the meantime, warmth the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a separate giant saute pan over medium warmth. As soon as the oil shimmers, add the bell peppers, onions, celery and jalapeno, stirring to coat. Season with the remaining 1/four teaspoon of salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Add the turkey, stirring to incorporate; prepare dinner uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring typically, till the onion is translucent and the bell peppers have softened.
Whereas the greens are cooking, make the sauce: Mix the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper in a mini or standard-size meals processor. Puree to type a clean sauce; if it appears too thick to drizzle/pour, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to obtain the fitting consistency. Switch to a squeeze bottle or to a zip-top bag (minimize 1 nook so as to drizzle).
Toss the potatoes and the vegetable-turkey combination collectively in giant serving bowl. Drizzle the lime juice over them, then add the tomatoes and scallions, tossing gently to incorporate.
Garnish the hash with recent cilantro, if utilizing; drizzle the sauce excessive in a zigzag sample. Serve heat.
Dorie Greenspan’s subsequent day turkey-and-cranberry sriracha strata
Deb Lindsey, For The Washington Post
Dorie Greenspan’s next-day turkey and cranberry sriracha strata photographed in Washington, D.C.
Should you’re extra inclined to toss every little thing collectively and bake it till its heat, then do this twist on the savory bread pudding. It makes use of turkey, cranberry sauce and leftover bread in case you’ve acquired it. That is greatest should you assemble it at the very least six hours (or up to eight or so) earlier than baking.
- Unsalted butter, for the baking dish
- 14 to 16 slices cinnamon-raisin bread (about a whole 1-pound loaf of Pepperidge Farm Raisin Cinnamon Swirl)
- 1 to 2 (packed) cups child kale or child spinach
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups do-it-yourself or store-bought entire cranberry sauce (see NOTE)
- About 2 cups leftover roasted turkey cubes
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Freshly floor pepper
- 1 1/four cups half-and-half
- 6 giant eggs
- three to four tablespoons Sriracha (might substitute a number of dashes of scorching sauce for less-intense warmth)
Flippantly grease the within of a 2-quart roasting pan or a deep Eight-by-9-inch Pyrex baking dish with butter. Place the pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment, foil or a silicone liner
Reduce every slice of bread diagonally to make 2 triangles, then minimize it diagonally in the other way so that you’ve four triangles.
Organize about one-third of the bread on the underside of the pan, leaving area between the triangles. (You don’t want a strong layer of bread.) Cowl the bread with half of the greens and dollop on half of the cranberry sauce, once more not aiming for a full and clean layer. Scatter half of the turkey over the greens, then cowl with half of the cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper. Repeat with one other layer of bread (use half of the remaining bread) and all the remaining greens, cranberry sauce, turkey and cheese. Season with salt and pepper, and prime the casserole with the remaining bread triangles.
Whisk collectively the half-and-half, eggs and Sriracha (to style); season with salt and pepper. Slowly and steadily pour this combination over the strata. You need to cowl the highest layer of bread — a typically messy job, as a result of the liquid may seep over the sides of the pan — and have it trickle down evenly to the bottom of the pan. As soon as all the combination is in, gently press the layers down with a spatula or fork.
Cowl the strata and refrigerate it for at the least 6 hours or up to in a single day. Take away it from the fridge when you preheat the oven to 350 levels.
Uncover the strata and hold it on the lined baking sheet.
Bake (center rack) for 45 to 50 minutes or till a knife inserted into the middle of the strata comes out clear. Switch the pan to a rack and let it cool till the strata is heat or at room temperature. Serve solo or with a flippantly dressed inexperienced salad.
Observe: To make the cranberry sauce, mix 12 ounces of recent or frozen cranberries, half cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of recent orange juice in a saucepan over medium warmth. Prepare dinner for six to Eight minutes, stirring, till a lot of the berries pop, a effervescent syrup develops and the sauce leaves tracks that shortly fill when stirred. It won’t look set, however it’s going to set because it cools. Scrape it right into a heatproof bowl and depart at room temperature to cool. Use instantly, or cowl properly and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Now to get a head begin on your vacation baking: Take leftover cranberry sauce and use it to make these Entire-Wheat Jam Thumbprints, which could be saved within the freezer for a number of months. Should you opted to make a no-cook relish, use it to infuse vodka or gin, then use that booze for your holiday-time cocktails. A really intelligent reader gave us this tip final yr — assume you’ll be able to prime that?